Antiproliferative effect of Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus fermentum cell-free supernatants on colonic cancer cell line
Keywords:Anticancer activity, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus fermentum, cytotoxicity, colon cancer
Cell-free supernatants of two probiotics namely Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus fermentum were assessed for their antiproliferative and antitumor activity on human colon cancer CaCo2 and normal NCM425 cell lines. MTT 3-(4,5- Dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-Diphenyltetrazolium Bromide) assay was used to detect cytotoxic activity and cell viability. Our results indicated that both supernatants exhibited cytotoxic activities and their impact was in a dose-dependent manner. The results also showed that the supernatants were less toxic to normal cells. Lactobacillus casei cell-free supernatant (LcCFS) was more cytotoxic on cancer cells than Lactobacillus fermentum cell-free supernatant (LfCFS) at higher concentrations. However, no significant differences were observed between the impact of LcCFS and LfCFS on the NCM425 cell line. In conclusion, cell-free supernatants of Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus fermentum could be good candidates for cancer treatment and control.
• Ahmad MS, Zargar MY, Mir SA, Bhat NA, Baba ZA, Kant RH, Dar ZM, Khan IJ, Bandey S. (2018). Morphological and biochemical studies for the identification of Lactobacillus plantarum sp. nov., and Lactobacillus fermentum sp. nov., from municipal waste. J. pharmacogn. phytochem.;7(5):1421-4.
• Angelescu IR, Zamfir M, Stancu MM, Grosu-Tudor SS. (2019). Identification and probiotic properties of lactobacilli isolated from two different fermented beverages. Ann. Microbiol.; 69(13):1557-65.
• Baldwin C, Millette M, Oth D, Ruiz MT, Luquet FM, Lacroix M. (2010). Probiotic Lactobacillus acidophilus and L. casei mix sensitize colorectal tumoral cells to 5-fluorouracil-induced apoptosis. Nutr. Cancer.; 62(3):371-8.
• Choi SS, Kim Y, Han KS, You S, Oh S, Kim SH. (2006). Effects of Lactobacillus strains on cancer cell proliferation and oxidative stress in vitro. Lett. Appl. Microbiol.; 42(5):452-8.
• Clerici SP, Peppelenbosch M, Fuhler G, Consonni SR, Ferreira-Halder CV. (2021). Colorectal cancer cell-derived small extracellular vesicles educate human fibroblasts to stimulate migratory capacity. Front. Cell Dev. Biol.; 9.
• Ding C, Tang W, Fan X and Wu G. (2018). Intestinal microbiota: a novel perspective in colorectal cancer biotherapeutics. Onco. Targets. Ther. 11: 4797–4810.
• Dinić M, Lukić J, Djokić J, Milenković M, Strahinić I, Golić N, Begović J. (2017). Lactobacillus fermentum postbiotic-induced autophagy as potential approach for treatment of acetaminophen hepatotoxicity. Front. Microbiol.; 8:594.
• El-Deeb NM, Yassin AM, Al-Madboly LA, and El-Hawiet A. (2018). A novel purified Lactobacillus acidophilus 20079 exopolysaccharide, LA-EPS-20079, molecularly regulates both apoptotic and NF-κB inflammatory pathways in human colon cancer. Microb. Cell Factories; 17(1): 1-15.
• Escamilla J, Lane MA, Maitin V. (2012). Cell-free supernatants from probiotic Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG decrease colon cancer cell invasion in vitro. Nutr. Cancer.; 64(6):871-8.
• Girardin M, and Seidman EG. (2011). Indications for the use of probiotics in gastrointestinal diseases. Digestive diseases;29(6):574-87.
• Kahouli I, Malhotra M, Westfall S, Alaoui-Jamali MA, and Prakash S. (2017). Design and validation of an orally administrated active L. fermentum-L. acidophilus probiotic formulation using colorectal cancer Apc Min/+ mouse model. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 101(5): 1999–2019.
• Konishi H, Fujiya M, Tanaka H, Ueno N, Moriichi K, Sasajima J, Ikuta K, Akutsu H, Tanabe H, Kohgo Y. (2016). Probiotic-derived ferrichrome inhibits colon cancer progression via JNK-mediated apoptosis. Nat. Commun.;7(1):1-2.
• Lee JE, Lee J, Kim JH, Cho N, Lee SH, Park SB, Koh B, Kang D, Kim S, Yoo HM. (2019). Characterization of the anti-cancer activity of the probiotic bacterium Lactobacillus fermentum using 2D vs. 3D culture in colorectal cancer cells. Biomolecules; 9(10):557.
• Liu CT, Chu FJ, Chou CC, Yu RC. (2011). Antiproliferative and anticytotoxic effects of cell fractions and exopolysaccharides from Lactobacillus casei 01. MRGTEM.;721(2):157-62.
• Liu J, Chen X, Zhou X, Yi R, Yang Z, Zhao X. (2021). Lactobacillus fermentum ZS09 Mediates Epithelial–Mesenchymal Transition (EMT) by Regulating the Transcriptional Activity of the Wnt/β-Catenin Signalling Pathway to Inhibit Colon Cancer Activity. J. Inflamm. Res.;14:7281.
• Liverani C, De Vita A, Minardi S, Kang Y, Mercatali L, Amadori D, Bongiovanni A, La Manna F, Ibrahim T, Tasciotti E. (2019). A biomimetic 3D model of hypoxia-driven cancer progression. Sci. Rep.; 9(1):1-3.
• Martins FS, Silva AA, Vieira AT, Barbosa FH, Arantes RM, Teixeira MM, Nicoli JR. (2009). Comparative study of Bifidobacterium animalis, Escherichia coli, Lactobacillus casei and Saccharomyces boulardii probiotic properties. Arch. Microbiol.191(8):623-30.
• Mokhtari S, Atarbashi-Moghadam S, Motevaseli E, Ghafouri-Fard S, Hesampour A. (2021). Lactobacillus fermentum and Lactobacillus crispatus Do Not Have Cytotoxic Effects on HN5 Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma Cell Line. Int. J. Dent.;2021.
• Peran L, Sierra S, Comalada M, Lara-Villoslada F, Bailón E, Nieto A, Concha A, Olivares M, Zarzuelo A, Xaus J, Gálvez J. (2007). A comparative study of the preventative effects exerted by two probiotics, Lactobacillus reuteri and Lactobacillus fermentum, in the trinitrobenzenesulfonic acid model of rat colitis. Br. J. Nutr.; 97(1):96-103.
• Rajoka MS, Zhao H, Lu Y, Lian Z, Li N, Hussain N, Shao D, Jin M, Li Q, Shi J. (2018). Anticancer potential against cervix cancer (HeLa) cell line of probiotic Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus paracasei strains isolated from human breast milk. Food Funct .;9(5):2705-15.
• Roy S and Trinchieri G. (2017). Microbiota: a key orchestrator of cancer therapy. Nat. Rev. Cancer; 17 (5): 271–285.
• Siegel RL, Miller KD, and Jemal A. 2018. Cancer statistics, (2018). CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians; 68(1): 7–30.
• Tiptiri-Kourpeti A, Spyridopoulou K, Santarmaki V, Aindelis G, Tompoulidou E, Lamprianidou EE, Saxami G, Ypsilantis P, Lampri ES, Simopoulos C, Kotsianidis I. (2016). Lactobacillus casei exerts anti-proliferative effects accompanied by apoptotic cell death and up-regulation of TRAIL in colon carcinoma cells. PloS one; 5;11(2):e0147960.
• Tukenmez U, Aktas B, Aslim B, and Yavuz S. (2019). The relationship between the structural characteristics of lactobacilli-EPS and its ability to induce apoptosis in colon cancer cells in vitro. Sci. Rep.; 9 (1): 1-14.
• Wang S, Zhang L, Gu W. (2012). Effects of lactobacillus strains on colon cancer cell proliferation and cell cycle blockage. In 2012 International Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Biotechnology May 28 (pp. 1015-1018). IEEE.
• Zitvogel L, Daillère R, Roberti MP, Routy B, Kroemer G. (2017). Anticancer effects of the microbiome and its products. Nat. Rev. Microbiol;15(8):465-78.